Home > Consumer Rights > Returns Policy and Internet Shopping

Returns Policy and Internet Shopping

By: Lucy Debenham BA (hons) - Updated: 14 Jun 2017 | comments*Discuss

Returns Policy Internet Shopping Online

You probably already know that shopping for goods and services on the Internet can be exceptionally convenient, gives you much wider choice, and offers significant cost savings. But are you aware of your rights and protections as an Internet shopper in the UK? A recent survey indicates that most online shoppers were not aware of their rights, but were willing to take a chance anyway. The good news is that you might be safer than you think, especially with regards to returns policies and the opportunity to change your mind.

Why Return?

You may be wondering why the returns policy is so important when it comes to internet shopping, especially if you have never returned an item before. When you purchase something in a real shop, it's easy to see what you're buying. However, it's not as easy to evaluate the colour, feel or quality of an item displayed on a computer monitor. This is why consumers have been given the option to reject the item once they see it for real.

One thing to keep in mind is that your consumer rights are fairly solid when you purchase goods from a UK-based company (even if they are importing goods from elsewhere). If you purchase from overseas Internet companies, then you are on shakier legal ground. So it's important to do your homework before completing your purchase. It's possible to have "uk" in the web address without the company actually being located in the UK. Just confirm the seller's location and be aware of where your item is coming from.

Cooling Off & Cancellations

One major advantage that UK online shoppers have over real world buyers is a statutory "cooling-off" period of seven days. When you purchase an item in a brick-and-mortar store, you can generally only return faulty items. If you simply change your mind or decide you don't like the colour, you have no recourse. However, you can cancel an online transaction and receive a refund anytime in the first seven working days for any reason...or no reason. And that's seven working days after you receive the item, so in reality you may have even more time measured from the moment you placed the order.

You are required to notify the seller in writing. Although you have a responsibility to take reasonable care of the items you purchased, the seller cannot demand that items be returned in their original packaging. There are some exceptions to the cooling-off period. Items like software, DVDs and CDs usually cannot be returned. The same goes for perishable goods and anything that was custom made just for you.

The good news is that this cooling-off period also applies to online retailers based elsewhere in the EU. Currently, about 97 percent of UK consumers order from EU-based companies. Transactions with retailers in the rest of the world are not provided with statutory protections. Anytime you consider purchasing from non-EU sellers, you should confirm that their returns policy is acceptable to you.

If you buy an item from a private seller in an online auction, that transaction is exempted from the cooling-off period. The only time you would have a legal option to return your purchase is if the item turns out to be significantly different from the online description.

Online shopping provides you with a high level of choice, convenience and discounts. But the most savvy online consumers are well-informed regarding their rights. Make sure you know where your chosen retailer is based and confirm that their returns policy is in compliance with the law.

Sam - Your Question:
I purchased some strip eyelashes and assumed they were made of synthetic material when actually they are human hair, I've contacted the online company to return these and they have declined to refund. On their website it's says all sales are final in the terms and conditions it also says they only accept returns of faulty goods. However they don't mention the composition of their lashes on the website and they ar claiming they don't have to. They also have said due to the nature of the product and hygiene reasons they can't accept the return even though I have not opened them. They are saying they wouldn't be able to re sell. Is this right.

There is an element of caveat emptor here (buyer beware). If the material was important to you at the time of ordering, then maybe you should have investigated this before making the purchase. We're unsure whether eyelashes come under similar exemptions as, for example, earrings for pierced ears, sorry.
OnlineShoppingRights - 15-Jun-17 @ 11:48 AM
HiI bought a woven shopping basket online.When I received it the handles were so small the back of my hand was being scraped by the basket.I contacted the company and sent pictures and they said that they have not had that complaint before and I could send it back for a refund.I paid for the return postage costs.They refunded the cost of the basket only.I emailed and asked for a refund of the postage costs both for sending and returning the bag.The seller said that they had looked at the handles and felt they were fine so the bag was not faulty.As a gesture of goodwill they refunded the postage costs I paid when I purchased the bag but not the £6.00 I paid to return the bag.I pointed out that the photo on their website showed much larger handles but they refused to refund the postage.Is this correct under the law?Thank you
teebag - 14-Jun-17 @ 11:30 PM
Sam - 12-Jun-17 @ 12:02 PM
Hi I bought a pair of towels from Argos online and collected in store . They offer a 30 day back money guarantee for items in a resaleable condition . As I paid online and collected in store the distance selling regulation does not apply . I cannot have a refund as the bag was torn to be opened . I think this is all unfair as the item was not able to be open with out tearing the bag it came in. Is there anything I can do?
Sue Palam - 29-May-17 @ 3:10 PM
ThirstyKirsty - Your Question:
Hello,I work for an online retailer of used item and wonder, when a customer reports to us that something is faulty, if they can't support their claim with a photo, are we within our rights to ask for the item to be returned if we pay the return postage?Thanks,ThirstyKirsty.

If the goods are faulty within the first 6 months following purchase, it is not up to the consumer to prove their claim, it's up to the retailer to prove the fault wasn't there at the time of purchase/of satisfactory quality/fit for purpose. Yes ask for items to be returned in a convenient way at no cost to them (the retailer must bear the cost of postage when faulty goods are returned).
OnlineShoppingRights - 24-May-17 @ 12:24 PM
Hello, I work for an online retailer of used item and wonder, when a customer reports to us that something is faulty, if they can't support their claim with a photo, are we within our rights to ask for the item to be returned if we pay the return postage? Thanks, ThirstyKirsty.
ThirstyKirsty - 23-May-17 @ 9:31 AM
Abc - Your Question:
Hi, I bought a facial brush originally in Feb 2017 and fast forward to now I have been given another one as a replacement in May 2017. The replacement I have received is damaged, unpresentable, dented and scuffed and even the retailer agrees it is unacceptable yet I have been told I cannot get a refund as I originally bought it in Feb 2017. I received my replacement less than 2 weeks ago so does the 14 day rule still apply to me? I don't know if it makes a difference that I was falsely reassured my replacement would be of a satisfactory quality?

If a replacement is faulty you have the right to a refund or replacement - it's not your fault that the retailer took so long to repace it.
OnlineShoppingRights - 22-May-17 @ 12:57 PM
Louise - Your Question:
I ordered a dress to be made, sent through all my correct measurements and colours etc. It has been a long haul but finally received the dress and not one part of it fits me. It is the length of a top in the first instance but even more, it's almost twice my body width, therefore completely unfit for purpose. It appears the retailers are in Asia and are dragging the whole process out even though I have sent them pictures of the dress clearly showing the top is 3.5 inches shorter than requested in the measurements but this is not enough for them they want a video proving my measurements and are saying that I have provided the wrong measurements and would provide 50% refund if I wasn't happy but only after I've sent them the piece of material back with a tracking number which will mean special delivery. Does anyone have any advice on my stance with this as in the UK they are in breach of contract but I wasn't sure internationally? Any advice appreciated. Thank you Louise

No unfortunately, because the retailer is based outside the European Union (EU) your rights will depend on the laws of the country where the trader is based. You can try complaining to your credit card company if you paid by card. You could also try out if the country from which you purchased the garment has a consumer complaints organisation and try that.
OnlineShoppingRights - 22-May-17 @ 10:55 AM
Hi, I bought a facial brush originally in Feb 2017 and fast forward to now I have been givenanother one as a replacement in May 2017. The replacement I have received is damaged, unpresentable, dented and scuffed and even the retailer agrees it is unacceptable yet I have been told I cannot get a refund as I originally bought it in Feb 2017. I received my replacement less than 2 weeks ago so does the 14 day rule still apply to me? I don't know if it makes a difference that I was falsely reassured my replacement would be of a satisfactory quality?
Abc - 21-May-17 @ 2:38 AM
Hi,I brought a bed off a Facebook selling account for £300 they delivered for £10 I gave cash I received no receipt I asked for one after I handed over my money to be simply told to contact the seller and he walked off,on inspection of the bed all wasn't as it seemed to the images online the mattress was advised as 10" but was 8" this has an effect on how the bed looks the design on the headboard isn't flush with the mattress because of the mattress being to low the mattress needs to be at least 13" to fit,I IMMEDIATELY contacted the seller to inform them and asked for an exchange (it's still in its packaging) to be told no no refunds because it is an kingsize bed I was NEVER told ANYTHING about the refund policy through the Facebook page or on delivery,I've contacted them but they are ignoring me,I'm extremely upset as I've saved for the bed to be just robbed and left with a bed that was missold to me,pleasecan you tell me we're I stand.Thank you.
Bee - 20-May-17 @ 1:59 PM
I ordered a dress to be made, sent through all my correct measurements and colours etc.It has been a long haul but finally received the dress and not one part of it fits me.It is the length of a top in the first instance but even more, it's almost twice my body width, therefore completely unfit for purpose.It appears the retailers are in Asia and are dragging the whole process out even though I have sent them pictures of the dress clearly showing the top is 3.5 inches shorter than requested in the measurements but this is not enough for them they want a video proving my measurements and are saying that I have provided the wrong measurements and would provide 50% refund if I wasn't happy but only after I've sent them the piece of material back with a tracking number which will mean special delivery.Does anyone have any advice on my stance with this as in the UK they are in breach of contract but I wasn't sure internationally?Any advice appreciated. Thank you Louise
Louise - 19-May-17 @ 11:47 AM
Melissa - Your Question:
HelloI bought some shoes from BHLDN (american bridal shop ran by Anthropologie). I payd £120 for the shoes, £30 for the postage and £31 for customs.The shoes arrived and they are the wrong size.They have offered me: 20% off the price of the shoes to keep them OR I send them back (paying for the postage) and they will refund the price of the shoes. This means I either keep the shoes that don't fit and get around £30 back OR I lose out on about £70 postage to send them back.This is really frustrating as I live in England and so I can't call them or visit the store, and they are replying to me emails after 48 hours and ignoring the parts where I express my upset and would like a manager to call me.I was just wondering what my rights are here as it is their fault as they sent me the wrong shoes.ThanksM

Unfortunately because the company is not UK based, our laws will not apply to them. Check with your credit card company to see if they can help.
OnlineShoppingRights - 17-May-17 @ 12:27 PM
Hello I bought some shoes from BHLDN (american bridal shop ran by Anthropologie). I payd £120 for the shoes, £30 for the postage and £31 for customs. The shoes arrived and they are the wrong size. They have offered me: 20% off the price of the shoes to keep them OR I send them back (paying for the postage) and they will refund the price of the shoes. This means I either keep the shoes that don't fit and get around £30 back OR I lose out on about £70 postage to send them back. This is really frustrating as I live in England and so I can't call them or visit the store, and they are replying to me emails after 48 hours and ignoring the parts where I express my upset and would like a manager to call me. I was just wondering what my rights are here as it is their fault as they sent me the wrong shoes. Thanks M
Melissa - 16-May-17 @ 11:11 AM
annben - Your Question:
Hello,I sent an antique candelabra to be repaired. I paid over £500 for the repair. When it arrived home-today, it has a completely different shape to its matching pair, and the part where the candles sit is at such an angle, it is impossible to stand a candle in it again.What can I do? I am angry that I was forced to pay all this money without seeing the candelabra, and now I know why. ! How do I get my money back? it was a supposedly reputable antique restorer.Any advice greatly received. Thank you.

If the service provided has clearly not been as described or up to standard, you should try contacting the restorer first of all. They may be willing to offer you a refund so you can ask someone else to have a look at it. If the restorer is unwilling to pay, then you may have to take action via the courts. Hopefully you will have pictures of the candelabrabefore and after?
OnlineShoppingRights - 27-Mar-17 @ 12:18 PM
Hello, I sent an antique candelabra to be repaired. I paid over £500 for the repair. When it arrived home-today, it has a completely different shape to its matching pair, and the part where the candles sit is at such an angle, it is impossible to stand a candle in it again. Whatcan I do? I am angry that I was forced to pay all this money without seeing the candelabra, and now I know why. ! How do I get my money back? it was a supposedlyreputable antique restorer. Any advice greatly received. Thank you.
annben - 25-Mar-17 @ 7:24 PM
Tommyj - Your Question:
Hi. I'm hoping somebody can give me some advice. I purchased a brand new mobile phone from a large online electrical retailer. (eGlobal Central). I purchased via PayPal, unfortunately the phone stopped working within 4 months. I contacted eGlobal regarding a warranty return/ repair. They gave me a uk based address stating this it is there UK workshop. I sent the phone via Recorded delivery insured for more than the value of the phone, the package was received and signed for on 30/12/2016. I was then informed the item had been sent to china for repair. I had confirmation they had received the phone and the phone requires a repair which will take 4 weeks from 15/01/2017. I have had various communications with them since and every reply takes a minimum of 7 days and merely states " You're item is still in for repair, we will inform when we receive an update. we apologise blah blah blah. Having Googled this company since I get the impression that the chance of having a refund or my repaired phone is slim to none. Finally. after further research the U.K. Based service Centre is I global courier firm in Chessingtin (IMX). I have proof of receipt of my item at IMX and copies stating they have returned said item to China. My question is can I legally regard IMX responsible for my item as they signed for possession and initially I was given no indication the item would be returned to China. My apologies for the length but I wanted to be clear. Any help is appreciated. Many thanks.

EGlobal Central is the retailer and should deal with your query.The legislation that applies is the Consumer Rights Act 2015. The relevant points are in section 24 parts 5 and 6 as follows:
A consumer who has the right to a price reduction and the final right to reject may only exercise one (not both), and may only do so in one of these situations
(c)the consumer has required the trader to repair or replace the goods, but the trader is in breach of the requirement of section 23(2)(a) to do so within a reasonable time and without significant inconvenience to the consumer.
OnlineShoppingRights - 22-Mar-17 @ 1:59 PM
Hi. I'm hoping somebody can give me some advice. I purchased a brand new mobile phone from a large online electrical retailer. (eGlobal Central). I purchased via PayPal, unfortunately the phone stopped working within 4 months. I contacted eGlobal regarding a warranty return/ repair. They gave me a uk based address stating this it is there UK workshop. I sent the phone via Recorded delivery insured for more than the value of the phone, the package was received and signed for on 30/12/2016. I was then informed the item had been sent to china for repair... I had confirmation they had received the phone and the phone requires a repair which will take 4 weeks from 15/01/2017. I have had various communications with them since and every reply takes a minimum of 7 days and merely states " You're item is still in for repair, we will inform when we receive an update ... we apologise blah blah blah. Having Googled this company since I get the impression that the chance of having a refund or my repaired phone is slim to none. Finally.... after further research the U.K. Based service Centre is I global courier firm in Chessingtin (IMX). I have proof of receipt of my item at IMX and copies stating they have returned said item to China. My question is can I legally regard IMX responsible for my item as they signed for possession and initially I was given no indication the item would be returned to China. My apologies for the length but I wanted to be clear. Any help is appreciated. Many thanks.
Tommyj - 19-Mar-17 @ 5:31 PM
R Barkley - Your Question:
I paid for an early upgrade with Carphone Warehouse to my mobile contract and was offered an incentive to buy on the phone rather than instore (£45 discount) - the phone arrived and really is not what I was looking and asked to return the phone for a different phone but keeping the contract upgrade. Carphone warehouse is stating because I paid for early upgrade I have no right to return. Surely they can't pick and choose which part of DSR apply? Do I have any rights here? They claim it's informed on the phone but I wasn't, I never even received confirmation of the order even after phoning and asking for confirmation and no new contract information in writing either.

No, we think you should be able to return the phone if it's not as described, but you will need to check the terms and condtions regarding the contract. Because it's not a new contract as such, the cooling off period might not apply.
OnlineShoppingRights - 16-Mar-17 @ 2:24 PM
I paid for an early upgrade with Carphone Warehouse to my mobile contract and was offered an incentive to buy on the phone rather than instore (£45 discount) - the phone arrived and really is not what i was looking and asked to return the phone for a different phone but keeping the contract upgrade. Carphone warehouse is stating because i paid for early upgrade i have no right to return. Surely they can't pick and choose which part of DSR apply? Do i have any rights here? They claim it's informed on the phone but i wasn't, i never even received confirmation of the order even after phoning and asking for confirmation and no new contract information in writing either.
R Barkley - 14-Mar-17 @ 9:05 PM
Kaz - Your Question:
Hi I bought some car accessories from an online store through Amazon I want to return the goods and have notified the seller they are refusing to refund all of money paid and are deducting original posting costs from the refund I disputed this they then said its handling costs I again disputed this they are saying they can do this ,the item was free postage should they refund All the money ?

If you're returning them because you don't want them (i.e they're not faulty), you will need to check the seller's terms and conditions on this. The seller's terms and conditions or returns policy should state who pays the cost of returning an item. If they don't state this, then the seller has to cover the cost. There is nothing that states you have to pay if the initial delivery charge was free in the consumer rights but if you had to pay to return the costs as well as for the initial delivery, this might be deemed unreasonable.
OnlineShoppingRights - 14-Mar-17 @ 1:56 PM
Kaz - 12-Mar-17 @ 4:55 PM
jakc - Your Question:
I bought a recliner chair from a UK company. They delivered it, unpacked and assembled it. They delivered it at 4.50pm last Friday and left at 5.05pm. We had to go out at 5.00pm so I couldn't give the chair a good test. When we returned I tried the chair for 2 separate hour sessions. I found it very uncomfortable to sit on. I should, at this point, explain that I suffer from back problems and suffer from the after effects of a stroke. I tried the chair again on Saturday over a 4 hour period, using various cushions to try to help with the comfort. The chair was very uncomfortable and caused the right side of my body to stiffen up. Since then I have spent my time in bed, as I have nothing to sit on. I had a different recliner chair, which I paid the company to take away, for some 6 years and could sit in it from morning until bedtime with no ill effects.What are my rights regarding the supplier of the new chair, please?

If you purchased the chair online, you have the right to return it within 14 days, because a photograph is not always enough to base a purchase upon. Check the stores returns policy for details of how to do this.
OnlineShoppingRights - 28-Feb-17 @ 10:14 AM
I bought a recliner chair from a UK company. They delivered it, unpacked and assembled it. They delivered it at 4.50pm last Friday and left at 5.05pm. We had to go out at 5.00pm so I couldn't give the chair a good test. When we returned I tried the chair for 2 separate hour sessions. I found it very uncomfortable to sit on. I should, at this point, explain that I suffer from back problems and suffer from the after effects of a stroke. I tried the chair again on Saturday over a 4 hour period, using various cushions to try to help with the comfort. The chair was very uncomfortable and caused the right side of my body to stiffen up. Since then I have spent my time in bed, as I have nothing to sit on. I had a different recliner chair, which I paid the company to take away, for some 6 years and could sit in it from morning until bedtime with no ill effects. What are my rights regarding the supplier of the new chair, please?
jakc - 26-Feb-17 @ 11:38 AM
Pogle - Your Question:
I purchased a deal with Wowcher for a three night motor home hire with Bonny Scotland motor homes.It cost £209 and was valid until April 2017.It said there was limited availability.I bought it in October 2016 ,and kept it as a xmas present for my husband.A few days after xmasI tried to book and was by the merchant there was no availability.I contacted Wowcher immediately asking for a refund and they have refused,giving me £209 credit with them.I don't want credit,I want my money back.I told them that they have obviously sold too many deals and then not able to fulfil the contract.So they are in breach of contract and must refund my money.I just keep getting the same old, same old regurgitated rubbish from them,I've you can only get a refund within 14 days !.What else can I do ?

Check the terms and conditions on Wowcher's website. If it clearly stated that there was limited availability when you purchased it and you left it two months before booking, there may be an element of "caveat emptor" here. You might be better seeking individual advice from a legal professional. Under Consumer Rights law you can only return a faulty/not fit for purpose item for a full refund or repair within 30 days. After 30 days and before 6 months you may entitled a "repair" or replacement (which you've been effectively offered) , so it could be difficult to argue this one.
OnlineShoppingRights - 8-Feb-17 @ 12:56 PM
Pogle - 7-Feb-17 @ 10:59 AM
I order a tailored made DIY sliding doors. I used a measuring tape with feets and meters, and converted the figures to millimetres, which they required. In order to make sure I don't get it wrong, I went to my local branch of the online shop to confirm the figures, which they informed me were correct. The problem started when it came to delivering the goods, the delivery company only have 2 days out of 5 working days when they delivers to my area and these particular days of the week will mean I have to take the day off work. The fact that this was not mentioned when I was ordering the products and that I am paying for the delivery really made me upset. Obviously I had problems with the products as they were too small and I was told that the company I bought the product from is different from the company I thought I was dealing with, that my visit to the local shop and relying on the confirmation that the figure I measured and subsequently converted was irrelevant. The annoying part of the process is that I navigated the page I processed my order through the local shop's webpage. They have concluded that I provided the wrong measurements and the fault is mine. I intend to raise a query with my bank as I paid using my credit card. The order is not cheap and I can not use the product.
LV - 28-Jan-17 @ 9:20 AM
vivagirl - Your Question:
Hi there. I bought some items from an online company that were not suitable for me. The company claim in their t&c's that 'As a new and small business we are unable to accept returns or offer refunds, but if there is an issue or problem with the product we of course want to know and will do what we can to help you. Please do not send anything back until you have spoken to us. Email with your issue to. and we'll be in touch'. I emailed them twice within 7 days of receiving the goods – as well as informing them that their t&c's were misleading to customers, but haven't heard anything back. The items total £60. It's been a week since I first wrote declaring my wish to cancel/return. I understand I have 14 days to return from the date of writing. What do I do if I don't hear back from them? Incidentally, bought with Visa Debit in case I can pursue via that route.

Yes your the Consumer Rights Act 2015 gives you 14 days to return the goods for a refund. You may have to pay the cost of return postage (usually the retailer terms and conditions will say).
OnlineShoppingRights - 27-Jan-17 @ 2:41 PM
Hi there. I bought some items from an online company that were not suitable for me. The company claim in their t&c's that 'As a new and small business we are unable to accept returns or offer refunds, but if there is an issue or problem with the product we of course want to know and will do what we can to help you. Please do not send anything back until you have spoken to us. Email with your issue to ..... and we'll be in touch'. I emailed them twice within 7 days of receiving the goods – as well as informing them that their t&c's were misleading to customers, but haven't heard anything back. The items total £60.It's been a week since I first wrote declaring my wish to cancel/return. I understand I have 14 days to return from the date of writing. What do I do if I don't hear back from them? Incidentally, bought with Visa Debit in case I can pursue via that route.
vivagirl - 26-Jan-17 @ 6:00 AM
Jermaine - Your Question:
My partner bought me some trainers online that are too small. It's now after the stores exchange policy. What can I do as I'm getting told they can do nothing about it.

If they were purchased from an online store, you can return them within 30 days of purchase for a refund. If the purchase was from a shop, then you can only return them if the company's terms and conditions say you can. It sounds to us as though they were bought from a shop and do specify a time limit for exchange. You could still try and return them if you have the receipt, they're in the original packaging and clearly haven't been worn. The retailer may give you a credit note as a goodwill gesture. Otherwise, your consumer rights can't really help you - and you may have to try and sell them to someone else to recoup some of your losses.
OnlineShoppingRights - 17-Jan-17 @ 12:58 PM
Jermaine - 16-Jan-17 @ 3:06 PM
Comment:
Further Reading...
Our Most Popular...
Add to my Yahoo!
Add to Google
Stumble this
Add to Twitter
Add To Facebook
RSS feed
You should seek independent professional advice before acting upon any information on the OnlineShoppingRights website. Please read our Disclaimer.